April 12, 2009

Purely Elemental Synchronization?

There are moments that last forever and there are some that last for a minute. According to me, the most fondly remembered moments are those that last forever. But these moments can take just minutes to happen and need not necessarily take its own sweet time. Those who are able to carefully observe and capture them are the lucky ones for sure as they are just in the right place in the right moment. Wonder where I am heading with this? Does this have any connect with the title? Read on if you are intrigued...

All of my weekends are both sporty and relaxed...and this weekend was no different. I was on my way back home on my two wheeler from my friends place where we regularly played cricket. It was a touch late and my hands were accelerating like I had no control over it, an unusual hurry I thought. I usually play music when I ride to take care of my distractions while riding...it could be a rule breaking or a traffic jam or just a pleasant person that holds my attention. At most times, the tempo and the rhythm of the music, determines the kind of ride I have and this is so true and in most of my rides. Wherever I am, I tend to deeply observe the people and their mannerisms a lot and also the environment in which I am in while I ride or travel generally. But the best place to really think about these things in detail would be during a signal stopping and Ive had my share of some great moments and some odd ones too...bet its the same whoever is reading it this far.

On this evening, at a specific signal stop at R A Puram (near Kaliappa Hospital), while the red was working fine, the amber wasn't and was flickering like an ECG count. Amidst this, there is a high tempo song going on in my MP3 player and this builds up to what I am to explain. The rate at which the amber was flickering was beginning to match with the song playing in my ears and this synch was magical to witness. What a feeling! Above this, to make things better, there was another tempo in which the vehicle was beating when it was on idle and this too had matched exactly to the song in my ears. This was just getting better and I was the only one smiling in the junction and everyone else grim, waiting to be unleashed at the sight of the green signal. But the icing on the cake was up next...the cars ahead of me were to take a left from the signal and their indicators were blinking to signal their intentions. The synch extended and this time it matched with the indicator flickering rate and this was just amazing. The only thing I could do was jus to clap once in true amazement and laugh to myself to what I had just witnessed. For a moment I dint realize that the train of thoughts of the others was derailed by this and they seem to be a little perturbed and also a touch amused...who cared!!!

All of this took place in a span of say hardly two minutes and it was just brilliant and I was perhaps the only person smiling at that signal point at that moment when the others were fuming or just emotionless. For the first time, I dint want the signal to turn green...I was in such child like joy in just witnessing the synch of light and sound. According to me, our attentions has always been pulled by light or by sound and when both happen together, it is a sight to behold and we wouldnt mind swaying our heads or shaking a leg to feel good, wouldnt we?

These are moments we cannot resist but smile about and such small things are the most remembered and cherished. So let me now throw open this field to all and ask you to think about certain instances when light and sound have synched and where you have been the only witness (well not necessarily) where others werent fortunate to even know what you had felt...think about this and see how we can all find small patterns that bring us a big smile in grim moments. I honetsly feel that the elements of light and sound defines and encompasses all what we call essential and important to all life forms.

At the edge of these thoughts, like all breaking dreams at the wrong moments, the green signal finally gave people their passports to their destinations...patience tested and certified. After a quick wake up call by the vehicle behind to get me moving, I raced off quick but calm...homeward bound after witnessing what I call purely an event of Elemental Sychronization!


7 comments:

Ramakrishna said...

Highly amusing, more often than not, it is these little things in an otherwise mundane everyday routine which make life more interesting

MJ said...

Hi dark knight, Hopped on from Manasvini's blog.. And I've read the entire blog..:-)I thoroughly enjoyed..

And I completely agree with you and Ramakrishna.. If not for these little pleasures.. Life will completely turn out to be droning.

Nithya Sriram said...

Well written Vasanth !Very true..how simple things can bring us joy!

Unknown said...

A scene well described!! Could feel the synch when reading through :P.. It was a dream you've had but unfortunately ended soon :).. Gone in 60 seconds :P.. well written vas! :D

Divya said...

Lovely post Bro :) I remember the time when I drove my bike like crazy to stay in the shadow of some clouds moving that were covering up the scorching sun. It was truly like a race between us but u know who won :p

zen said...

Nice one.. Good twisty words and scene well described.

Unknown said...

When existence is an orchestra, and the guy upstairs- the conductor of it all.
Totally understand your thrill at that moment.. and you've described it well too :)