January 18, 2009

The 'Devil' in us...

We have evolved over the years and so have our beliefs and faiths in numerous religions that proclaim the existence of a divine power. The fact that we are able to identify with something good is because of the presence of evil. It is in darkness that we seek a light and it is darkness that engulfs light. Since I haven't seen God yet, I had found solace that since we are created by the divine power, we have a little God in ourselves. But at the same time, we are able to act otherwise in some situations because there is a Devil in us.
Divine creation is a little smarter than I thought and we are certainly a mix of both good and evil. We fear what we do not know and we worship that which protects. It is interesting that at times people worship people and they fear the same kind...mankind itself! The fact that wildlife has its own philosophy that hasn't changed since its evolution, mankind on the other hand, has evolved and in this process has constructed and defined what is right and wrong. I find this absolutely intriguing and amazing that we possess what is unique and only a few who are willing to accept or even be aware of what is inside us. But I must admit, that those who are aware run the risk of switching preferences and might end up misusing their powers and do something totally uncalled for or unnecessary. Such an act by mistake is taken to the court for justice but the act by choice will be dealt with in another court of justice. Let me give an explanation of how it feels if you are aware that you possess good as well as the touch of evil.
The mind is a really weird instrument which doesn’t sleep and tends to work like a madman. To some people it is relentless and gives a lot of ideas and tricks to tackle situations and bring a solution...it’s a ticking time bomb to some and a calm as a sage to some. I feel that’s how the term 'Brilliant Minds" seems to have evolved…has anyone said ‘Brilliant Hearts’? The mind sees logic and calculates by possibilities and to the human mind, possibilities are endless and hence the freedom to think beyond sanity. The thought that crosses the line most often leads to a point of no return which some of us might deem inappropriate or sane. To me the mind in man’s hand is the devil in us, and an idle mind is the devil’s workshop.
The heart, on the other hand, beats the emotions into our heads besides the blood to back up the thoughts of the mind and this is critical in the context. The heart is a gift to mankind and this is what separates us from what is sane and insane. Judgments and decisions taken by the mind are validated by the heart and this is the litmus test to see if the decision can be released in the open or withheld before other considerations can be taken. Some judgments based from the heart may at times lack the logic and this might take us to a point where we may not want to consider the evidence or the facts. This is where independently the heart might screw up the mind a little bit. Food for thought? To me, the heart in man’s hand is the god in us and when in full flow is like in trance.
Let me give a couple of examples that will help clarify and bring us to common ground. Most often when I am on the roads driving my way to work or any other destination, I come across a lot of incidents that boils my blood and drives me to a point of madness – Honking aloud, careless turns, over-speeding, non-indication, sharp turns, signal breaking, accidents etc. Now this affects my driving temperament and I do something unusual to let go off the devil in me. To be honest, I have the innate ability to visualise by my will and can run it like a well directed scene in my head. This helps me in a lot of ways and I have seen what I have wanted to see and choose to modify it if need be. During such road rage incidents, my mind plays the devil and wants to be unleashed at the trouble makers and break them to their bones. The heart plays the good role and instructs not to harm others around and so on and so forth. Being human, I see a need to satisfy both the evil side and the good side and hence there is a replica scene that I create where the devil is set free to do what it pleases and in those moments of hell, the devil is in its playground and I visualise brutal repercussions. The hunger for action and free will is at play and there is total annihilation with no force daring to halt the scene. After the dosage is done with, I switch off the devil and am back to reality…driving safe and sound with the incident far beyond my recollection.
Another example fora different angle – when a stunningly beautiful woman (for a man) or a man (for a woman) walks by and by witnessing so, our lusts and desires cloud our thoughts and intentions for sure…some can deny but it surely is a stimulus. The mind here is calculating what if he/she was mine and if it was so, what would the most desirable moment be and this according to me is natural and human…nothing wrong about doing this. The extent to how far we want to take this desire ahead does matter a lot and here comes the plot of the evil intentions and good motives. I can manage to visualise the endless possibilities to satisfy the devil in me and wade off the intentions in me so that my heart can dictate the terms of what deeds I can be known for. Sometimes people call me a sweet guy, (for which I try my best) because I give the devil a little chance and satiate its desire of all the wrong doings but which is only possible in the world I create for its existence. This is a point where the devil in me is satisfied and so is the god in me.
I feel it is necessary to touch the evil side because I believe that every possible beginning has an ending which is all for good. I always believe and I do so firmly that we all have two sides in us which we cannot deny...we believe in good because we fear the presence of evil and that we believe in god because of the devil. And in all of this, we are indeed a result of a divine creation that believed that the good cannot exist without the power of evil and evil cannot rule this world without the presence of the good. According to me, we humans are a mix of the devil and the god.
Here is the end of my side of the story. There are decisions and actions that we take based on our thoughts only, by feelings only and some together based on thought and feel. Most often when both the mind and the heart work together the success rate is always higher. Hence it is critical to link the protagonist and the antagonist to create a purposeful plot and nullify an extreme or dominant outcome. The characteristics might differ from person to person but the ultimate objective is to connect the mind and the heart so that none go in their respective directions and create the chaos as perpetrated by evil intentions or by good motives.
Ultimately, the heart is like a judge and the mind like the executioner for most situations where judgments are required...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

really nice!!! keep blogging :)